Aloo Bonda/ Potato Bonda is a popular evening snack made with tangy potato balls coated with batter and deep fried in oil. You can find this in all Indian restaurant menu. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes: 12 bonda
For the potato stuffing:
- Potatoes- 3
- Onion- 1
- Green chillies- 2
- Ginger- 1/2 inch piece
- Salt- as required
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice- 2 tsp (adjust according to taste)
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Mustard- 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal-1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
For the batter:
- Gram flour- 1/2 cup
- Rice flour- 2 tbsp
- Turmeric- 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida- 1/4 tsp
- Cooking soda- 2 pinches
- Salt- as required
- Water- as required
Oil- for deep frying
- Preparation: Clean the potatoes and cut into 4 pieces each and pressure cook with 1.5 cups water for 4 whistles. Cool down completely and peel the skin and mash without lumps and set aside. Finely chop the onions, green chillies and ginger.
- To make the masala: Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Add urad dal and curry leaves. Once the dal turns golden, add ginger and green chillies and sauté for a minute.
3.Add onions and sauté till golden. Do not brown the onions.
4. Add turmeric powder and salt and mix well. Now add the boiled and mashed potatoes and mix evenly.
5. Cook for 2-3 minutes and finally add lemon juice and mix.
6. Transfer to a plate and cool down completely
7.When the potato mixture is warm to touch, make 12 equal sized balls and set aside.
8. For the batter: To a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients mentioned in “for the batter” section and slowly add water and mix to form thick and lump free batter. (The batter should be thick to coat the potatoes evenly)
9.Heat oil in a pan in medium flame for deep frying and when the oil is hot, slowly drop the potato balls into the batter and carefully drop into medium hot oil.
10. When the bubbles reduce, carefully turn the balls on all sides for even cooking. When the balls turn golden, remove from oil and drain on kitchen towel.
11. Serve hot as tea time snack. Delicious and perfect aloo bonda is ready to eat!