Vegetable Pulao is a popular Indian main course dish made with vegetables sauteed to perfection and mixed with long grains of cooked basmati rice and served with Raita (yogurt) or spicy and rich gravy. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Cuisine: North Indian
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Basmati Rice – 1.5 cups
- Water- 2.25 cups
- Onion- 1 large sliced
- Green chillies- 3 sliced
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Mint leaves- 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
- Mixed vegetables (chopped carrot, beans, frozen peas) – 2 cups
- Salt- as required
- Roasted Cashewnuts- 10 (broken into small pieces)
- Ghee/ Vegan Ghee- 1 tbsp
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf- 2
- Cloves- 3
- Cinnamon stick- 1
- Cardamon- 2/ Cardomom powder- 1/4 tsp
1. Preparation: Slice onions, slit green chillies and finely chop beans and carrots and set aside.
2. Cook Rice: Soak basmati rice in water for 30 minutes and pressure cook for 2 whistles. After the whistle releases, fluff with fork to separate grains and transfer the rice on a large plate and cool down completely (You can refrigerate for 20 minutes for faster cooling). You can also make it with leftover basmati rice.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add items under “to temper”
4. When the spices turn aromatic, add onion and green chillies and fry till pink.
5. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté till raw smell leaves.
6. Add mint leaves, vegetables and salt.
7. Add 1 cup water and close and cook for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
8. Add the cooked and cooled rice and mix carefully without breaking the grains.
9. Add coriander leaves and cashew pieces, finally drizzle ghee and serve hot. Delicious restaurant style vegetable pulao is ready to eat.