Idly Chilli Powder / Gun powder is an authentic accompaniment for various types of idly and dosa made with roasted lentils and red chillies with the flavor of sesame seeds and served with generous quantity of sesame oil on top to make a paste. It can be stored in an air tight container for months. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation and Making Time: 20 minutes
- Channa dal – 1/2 cup
- Whole Urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Large Red chili- 10 (OR) Red chilli – 6 & Kashmiri red chilli – 6
- Sesame seeds- 3 tblsp
- Sesame Oil- 1 tsp
- Asafoetida- 2 pinches
- Salt- as required
- Sugar- 1 tsp (optional)
1. Heat 1/4 tsp oil in a pan and roast the red chillies till crispy. Set aside. (Kashmiri red chillies give bright red colour and are mild)
2. In the same pan, add 1/4 tsp oil and roast the channa dal till golden. Set aside.
3. In the same way, roast urad dal to golden and set aside.
4. Dry roast the sesame seeds till it begins to crackle and set aside along with the other ingredients to cool down before grinding
5. Add all the above to a mixer jar along with salt, sugar (if adding) and asafoetida. Grind to a fine powder. If you like it course, grind accordingly.
6. Store in an air tight jar. Enjoy with idly or dosa with sesame oil for the authentic taste.