Idly/ Idli is a type of savory steamed cake and Dosa/ Dosai is a type of savory crêpe made with rice and lentils served as an authentic breakfast in South Indian homes and restaurants. Idly and Dosa are generally made by soaking rice and lentils for 4-6 hours and grinding it to smooth batter and fermenting it overnight. Idly and Dosa are served with chutney, sambhar and gun powder.
Here is the recipe of idly-dosa batter without soaking, grinding or fermenting: the batter can be made instantly in 10 minutes. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Makes: 20-25 idlis (OR) 15-18 dosa
- Rice Flour – 2 cups
- Urad dal Flour- 1 cup
- Fruit salt- 1 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Salt- as required
- Water- 3 to 4 cups for making batter
1. To a large mixing bowl, add rice flour and urad dal flour. Add 3 cups of water to it.
2. Mix well using a wired whisk or hand mixer in medium speed to form smooth lump free batter. Add more water if required. NOTE: Idly batter should be thicker than dosa batter, so if you are making dosa batter, add more water and mix well.
3. Add salt, lemon juice and fruit salt to the batter and it will turn frothy.
4. Mix well and use. Easy Batter is ready in less than 10 minutes for making idly and dosa.