Tomato thokku is a tangy and tasty side dish of South Indian cuisine served as side dish for roti, idly, dosa, pongal and also with rice. It is great to take along for travel as it is versatile and has a good shelf life of three days. This easy version of tomato thokku is non-spicy and is packed with the flavor of onion, tomato and sesame oil. Come, let’s see how to make this authentic recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Onion- 1
- Tomato- 3
- Green chillies- 2
- Salt- as required
- Sesame oil- 1 tsp
- Sesame oil- 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal- 1 tsp
1. Preparation: Chop onion and tomatoes finely and slit the green chillies.
2. Heat sesame oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Add urad dal and fry for a minute and add the green chillies. (NOTE: Sesame oil is healthy and adds to the authentic flavor of this thokku, so do not replace it with regular cooking oil.)
3. Add onions and sauté till it turns golden. Do not brown the onions.
4. Add tomatoes and salt. Close and cook in medium to low flame.
5. When the moisture has evaporated, add 1 tsp sesame oil and mix well.
6. Cook till oil separates, and it becomes shiny and doesn’t stick to the pan. Serve hot with chapati, curd rice, idly or dosa. Delicious tomato thokku is ready to eat.