Maggi is a popular type of ‘ready to cook’ noodles in India which comes with a flavourful spice mix. It is made often in all Indian homes and Indian street shops due to its unique masala taste and simple cooking process. Street style maggi is made with a twist by adding red chilli powder, coriander powder and cumin powder along with maggi masala to maggi noodles cooked with onion, tomato and green peas. Come, let’s see how to make this simple and tasty version of the classic maggi at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Maggi- 3 cakes
- Maggi masala- 3
- Water- 2.25 cups
- Onion- 1
- Green chilli- 1
- Tomato- 2
- Frozen Peas- 1/2 cup
- Turmeric- 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Cumin powder- 1 tsp
- Salt- as required
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
1. Preparation: finely chop the onion, tomatoes, green chilli and coriander leaves and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add green chilli and onion and saute till the onions turn golden. Do not brown the onions.
3. Add frozen peas and cook for a minute.
4. Add tomatoes along with turmeric powder and salt and cook till soft and mushy.
5. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, Maggi masala and cook for a minute.
6. When the spice powders have blended with the onion and tomatoes, add water and bring to a boil and add half of the coriander leaves.
7. Break the maggi cakes into two and add to the boiling water and cook till water is absorbed and maggi noodles turn soft.
8. Add the remaining coriander leaves and switch off the flame. Serve hot. Delicious street style maggi is ready to eat!