Cauliflower rice | Gobi rice is a tasty and spicy Indian rice variety made with cauliflower roasted to perfection and cooked in tomato onion gravy and mixed with long grains of cooked basmati rice and can be served with Raita (yogurt) or curry. It makes a wholesome lunch or dinner and can also be packed in lunch box. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Basmati rice- 1 cup
- Water- 1.5 cups
- Cauliflower – 1 small or 3/4 medium
- Turmeric- a pinch
- Onion- 1
- Tomato- 2
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
- Cloves- 3
- Cardamom- 1
- Cinnamon- 1/4 inch piece
- Salt- as required
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Oil- 2.5 tbsp
- Oil- 1 tsp
- Mustard- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
1. Preparation: chop the cauliflower into medium small florets and add turmeric and salt to it. Boil in hot water for 5 minutes and drain the water and set the cauliflower aside. Chop onion and tomato into cubes.
2. Cook Rice: Soak basmati rice in water for 30 minutes and pressure cook for 2 whistles. After the whistle releases, fluff with fork to separate grains and transfer the rice on a large plate and cool down completely (You can refrigerate for 20 minutes for faster cooling). You can also make it with leftover basmati rice.
3. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Sauté till it emits a nice aroma. Add onion to it and sauté till golden.
5. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté till raw smell leaves.
6. Add the tomato along with salt and cook till it turns soft.
7. Remove it on a plate and allow to cool and grind to a smooth paste.
8. Meanwhile, add 2 tbsp oil to the pan and add the cauliflower to it along with salt and red chilli powder.
9. Roast for 10-12 minutes until it shrinks and cooks well. Remove it on a plate and set aside
10. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Add cumin seeds and curry leaves to it.
11. When cumin seeds splutter, add the ground tomato-onion paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add little water if it gets too thick and sticks to the pan. You can cover and cook to avoid splattering.
11. Add the roasted cauliflower to it and lower the flame.
12. Finally, add the cooked basmati rice and mix well. Switch off and serve hot with any curry or raita. Delicious and flavorful cauliflower rice is ready to eat.