Chana Masala | Chole Masala is a flavorful, spicy and tasty dish of North Indian cuisine available in all Indian restaurants and street style chaat shops. It is made with boiled chickpeas in tangy tomato and onion gravy. It is served as side dish for roti, puri and pulao varieties. It is also used in making popular chaat recipes like bread chana, samosa chana, cutlet chana etc. Come, let’s see how to make this most popular recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Cuisine: North Indian
Soaking time: Overnight
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
To pressure cook:
- White Chickpeas/ Chana- 1 cup
- Water- 1.5 cups
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
To saute and grind:
- Oil- 2 tsp
- Cinnamon- 1/2 inch piece
- Cardamom- 1
- Cloves- 2
- Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
- Onion- 1
- Green chilli- 3
- Tomato- 3
- Boiled chana- 3 tbsp
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Onion- 1/2
- Tomato- 1
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Salt- as required
- Turmeric- 1/4 tsp
- Salt- as required
- Red chilli powder- 1.5 tsp
- Chana masala- 1.5 tsp
- Lemon juice- 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
- Finely chopped onion- 2 tbsp
- Lemon wedge- 1
- Coriander leaves- 1 tbsp
1. To soak: Add 1 cup of chickpeas/ chana in a vessel and add 2 cups of water. Close the vessel and allow to soak overnight. The next morning you will observe that the chana has absorbed water and increased in size.
2. Discard the existing water and add 1.5 cups of water to it along with salt and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles until the chana is soft. Strain the chana to separate the water into a bowl and this water will be used in the gravy.
3. Preparation: Chop the onions, tomatoes and coriander leaves finely and slit the green chillies and set aside.
4. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and fennel seeds. Add the onions and green chillies and saute until golden.
5. Add tomatoes and cook till soft. Cool down completely.
6. Grind the onion- tomato spices along with 3 tbsp boiled chana into fine paste and set aside.
7. Heat 2 tbsp oil in the same pan and add onions and saute till golden.
8. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute.
9. Add tomatoes and cook till the oil separates.
10. Add the ground paste and cook for a minute. Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and chana masala and allow to cook.
11. Close with a lid as it splutters a lot.
12. When the mixture boils and thickens, add chana boiled water and cook for 4-5 minutes.
13. When the gravy is boiling, add boiled chana and check for salt and adjust the consistency by adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup water.
14. When the gravy thickens and blends well with the chana, switch off.
15. Squeeze lemon juice and add coriander leaves. Garnish with fresh chopped onion, coriander leaves and serve hot with chapati, puri, chola puri or steamed rice. You can also use this chana masala to make bread chana, samosa chana, cutlet chana etc. Delicious and flavorful chana masala is ready to eat!