Chilli Bread is a spicy and tangy dish popular in Indian bakeries. It is made with toasted bread pieces in tomato- red chilli sauce. It is easy to make and takes only 15 minutes. It can be served hot as breakfast or evening snack, or tastes great for lunch box too. Come, let’s see how to make this simple and tasty recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- White Bread- 7 slices
- Butter- 3.5 tsp for toasting bread
- Onion- 1 medium chopped
- Tomato- 1 finely chopped
- Green chillies- 3
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
- Salt- as required
- Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
- Red chilli sauce- 2 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup- 2 tbsp
- Water- 1/4 cup
- Butter- 1 tbsp for sauce
1. Preparation: Finely chop onion, tomato and coriander leaves and slit the green chillies and set aside.
2. Apply butter on both sides of sandwich bread. (NOTE: Chilli bread tastes best with white bread)
3. Toast on pan/ tawa till they are golden brown. Cut the toasted bread into small pieces while it is hot and set aside.
4. Melt butter in a pan and add onions and green chillies and saute till the onions turn golden. Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell leaves.
4. Add tomatoes and salt. Cook until tomatoes turn soft.
5. Simmer and add red chilli powder, red chilli sauce and ketchup. Add 1 tbsp coriander leaves, water and let it form a saucy consistency.
6. Add the bread cubes and mix gently so that the pieces are coated with the sauce.
8. Add the remaining coriander leaves and switch off and serve or pack in lunch box. Delicious and spicy chilli bread is ready to eat!