Cut Mango Pickle is a tangy and tasty side dish of Indian cuisine served as side dish for curd rice, roti or parathas. It is great to take along for travel as it is versatile and has a good shelf life of months. This South Indian version of cut mango pickle is spicy, salty and is packed with the flavor of raw green mango, red chilli powder, mustard, fenugreek and sesame oil. Come, let’s see how to make this authentic recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 0 minutes
Wait time: 3-5 days
- Green Raw Mango- 1
- Salt- 2 tbsp
- Red chilli powder- 1.5 tbsp
- Kashmiri red chilli powder- 1 tbsp (optional)
- Mustard powder- 2 tsp
- Fenugreek powder- 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida- 1/4 tsp
- Sesame oil- 3 tbsp
1. Preparation: Powder the mustard and fenugreek seeds separately and keep all the ingredients ready.
2. Cut the green mango and remove the top stalk and center portion with seed and hard shell. Cut into small pieces as shown. Sun Dry for 1 hour to remove the moisture content in the mango. During winter especially in western countries, you can wipe the mango pieces with clean kitchen towel and dry indoor by placing on paper towel for 1 hour.
3. To a clean and dry container with lid (preferably glass or ceramic), add all the powder spices and add sesame oil generously. (Note: using Kashmiri red chilli powder gives bright red colour. Sesame oil is healthy and feel free to add the mentioned quantity)
4. Mix well without lumps using a clean and dry spoon. Add the cut mango pieces and mix well to coat the oil and spices.
5. Close the container and rest in a dry spot for 3-5 days until the flavours are absorbed by the mango and it turns soft. Open the lid and mix gently using clean dry spoon once everyday. You will notice that the mixture becomes more oily and this oil acts as natural preservative and keeps the pickle fresh without getting spoilt.
6. Transfer to a glass bottle or pickle jar and store in refrigerator upto 3 months (this is a small batch and will get empty quickly). Always use clean and dry spoon to take the pickle. Serve with curd rice, paratha or roti. Delicious, flavourful and super easy cut mango pickle is ready to eat.