Curd Rice/ Thayir Sadham is an authentic South Indian variety rice made with cooked rice and fresh curd/ yogurt. To add more flavor, green chilli, ginger, curry leaves and coriander leaves are added to it and tempered with mustard, urad dal and asafoetida. It served with spicy pickle and kuzhambu varieties. It is a healthy dish and curd acts as body coolant. It is made commonly in South Indian homes and popular menu in Indian restaurants. It is a quick and easy lunch box recipe. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect and tasty recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Rice- 1/2 cup
- Water- 1.75 cups
- Curd/ Yogurt- 3/4 cup
- Boiled milk- 1/2 cup
- Butter (optional)- 1 tsp
- Green chilli- 2
- Ginger- a small piece
- Curry leaves ( (finely chopped)- 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves (finely chopped)- 1 tbsp
- Carrot (finely chopped/ grated)- 1.5 tbsp
- Green mango (finely chopped/ grated)- 1.5 tbsp
- Salt- as required
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Mustard- 1 tsp
- Urad dal- 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida- 2 pinches
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Broken Cashew nuts- 1 tbsp
1. Preparation: Wash the rice and pressure cook for 5 whistles. Add the hot rice to a large mixing bowl and mash well.
In the meantime, finely chop green chillies, ginger, curry leaves, coriander leaves and set aside. You can grate/ finely chop the carrot and green mango.
2. Add butter, salt and milk to it and mix well and allow to cool.
3. Add curd to it and mix.
4. Add green chillies, ginger, curry leaves, coriander leaves to the curd rice and mix well. Now add carrot and green mango and mix.
5. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Add urad dal, cashew nuts, asafoetida and curry leaves. When the dal and cashew nuts turn golden, switch off and add to the curd rice and mix well. Serve hot with pickle or kuzhambu varieties.