Bakery style Masala Toast is a delicious and healthy vegetable bread toast variety which is a specialty of Indian bakeries called Iyengar Bakeries. It has onion, tomato, grated carrot along with flavorful Indian spice powders and can be made in a jiffy for a quick breakfast or evening snack. Come, let’s see how to make this tasty recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Sandwich bread- 6 slices
- Butter- 6 tsp
- Onion- 1
- Green chilli- 3
- Tomato- 3
- Carrot- 3
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
- Salt- as required
- Sugar- 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri red chilli powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Garam masala- 3/4 tsp
- Cumin powder- 3/4 tsp
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal- 1 tsp
1. Preparation: Chop onion, tomatoes, green chillies and coriander leaves finely and grate carrots and keep aside.
2. Heat a pan in medium flame and add 1/2 tsp butter and place a slice of bread and allow to turn golden brown.
3. Flip and lower the flame a bit and let the other side turn golden brown as well. Remove on a plate. Toast the remaining slices of bread in this way.
4. For Masala: Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Add urad dal and fry for a minute and add the green chillies.
4. Add onions and sauté till it turns golden. Do not brown the onions.
5. Add tomato, sugar and salt and cook in medium flame till soft and mushy.
6. Add the grated carrot and mix well. Add kashmiri red chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala and cook for 7 to 8 minutes in low flame until the carrots are cooked completely in the consistency of spread.
7. Add coriander leaves and switch off the flame. Allow to cool down.
8. Add 1 tbsp of the masala on the toasted bread slice and spread evenly.
9. Finish off the remaining masala and bread in this way. Cut into diagonals and serve as open toast. Delicious and tasty Bakery style Masala Toast is ready to eat.