Semiya Payasam | Vermicelli Kheer is a popular Indian dessert made with vermicelli, sugar and milk. You can find this in most of the South Indian restaurant menu and it is also made at home during festivals and auspicious occasions. It is very easy to make and tastes heavenly. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Semiya/ Vermicelli- 1/2 cup
- Water- 2 cups
- Milk- 1/2 cup
- Sugar- 1/2 cup
- Salt- a pinch
- Cardamom powder- 2 pinches
- Cashew nut- 8
- Golden Raisins- 15
- Ghee- 2 tsp
1. Heat ghee in a pan in medium flame and roast cashew nuts and raisins until golden. Transfer only the cashew and raisins to a plate and let the ghee remain in the pan.
2. Add vermicelli to the same pan and roast until golden. Stir in between to avoid burning.
3. Add water and cook for 5 to 6 minutes until the vermicelli turns just soft and not overcooked as it will get mashed.
4. Add sugar and cardamom powder and mix well.
5. Simmer the flame and add milk and bring to a boil.
6. Finally add a pinch of salt and roasted cashew and raisins and switch off the flame. It will thicken on cooling. Delicious and tasty semiya payasam is ready to eat.
NOTE: Adding a pinch of salt enhances the sweetness of this payasam.