Butter Biscuits (Indian Butter cookies) are a popular variety cookies consisting of butter, flour, and sugar. They are often categorized as a “crisp cookie” due to their texture caused by the quantity of butter and baking time. Butter Biscuits are famous in Indian tea shops and are also known as “Tea kadai butter biscuit”). This version is an easy, absolutely delicious and crispy “melt in the mouth” butter biscuits exactly like the tea shop ones. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect recipe at home from the scratch with easy method and step by step pictures.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Resting time: 60 minutes
Baking temperature and time: 350° F (or 175° C) for 15-20 minutes
Makes: 36-40 cookies
- All purpose flour- 1 cup
- Softened Salted Butter- 1 stick
- Powdered Sugar- 1/2 cup
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
1. Preparation: Keep the butter on counter top at least 1 hour before to soften it (or) take out the butter stick from refrigerator and heat in microwave for 30 seconds at 30% power and if not softened, 15 seconds at 30% power to get perfectly soft butter needed for the recipe.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix butter and sugar until fluffy and pale in colour using a hand mixer.
3. Add vanilla extract and mix well.
4. Add all purpose flour in three batches and combine well. Lastly mix well using your hands to form a soft dough. (NOTE: If the dough is crumbly, add 1-2 tbsp water and mix. If the dough is sticky, add 1 tsp all purpose flour and knead)
5. Place the dough on a plastic cling wrap, make a log and wrap it well. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Do not freeze. (NOTE: Cooling the dough for a period of 1 hour ensures that the butter solidifies and when it is baked, the biscuits turn out light and crispy)
6. Preheat the oven to 350° F (or 175° C). Remove the log from the refrigerator, unwrap it and slice into 1/2 inch cookies. Arrange on a lined baking tray. (This recipe makes 36-40 cookies).
7. Bake the cookies in the oven at 350° F (or 175° C) for 15 to 20 minutes until golden and rotate the pan halfway. Cool them on a cooling rack for 45 minutes and store in air tight jar. (NOTE: The biscuits seem to be soft after taking out of the oven but turn crispy when cooled completely.) Enjoy your teatime with these crispy butter biscuits. Delicious butter biscuits are ready to eat.