Pancake is a popular American breakfast dish, a flat cake that’s made by pouring batter into a hot pan and cooking it on both sides. The batter consists of flour, milk, butter and eggs. The shape and consistency of pancake varies across worldwide; for instance, in North America it is fluffy and raised, in France it is thin and flat and called crêpe, in British pancakes resemble crêpe and in India, similar savory pancakes are made with different fermented batter called uthappam. Pancakes are usually served with a generous drizzle of maple syrup. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- All purpose flour- 1.25 cup
- Granulated Sugar- 1 tbsp
- Baking powder- 1 tbsp
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Milk- 1 cup
- Butter- 1 tbsp
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Egg- 1 (NOTE: Egg is required for the perfect pancakes, you can replace egg with 1/2 mashed banana but it will be slightly flat and not as fluffy as the pancake with egg)
1. Add the egg to another bowl and whisk well. Add milk and vanilla extract to it and mix.
3. To a large mixing bowl, add all the items under “Dry ingredients” and mix using a wired whisk. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well to form a smooth lump free batter.
(NOTE: If using banana instead of egg, add mashed banana into the batter at this stage and mix)
4. Finally add melted butter and mix; the batter is ready.
5. Heat a pan or griddle (preferably non-stick) on medium flame till it is slightly hot. Add 1/4 tsp oil on it and spread it throughout using a small tissue.
6. Add one ladle full of the batter (about 1/4 cup) to the center of the tawa.
7. When the edges turn golden and holes appear on the top, gently flip it and allow to become golden on the other side as well. Remove it on a plate. Serve hot with a drizzle of pancake syrup (I will soon post a recipe for homemade pancake syrup). Delicious, soft and fluffy pancakes are ready to eat.