Beans Paruppu Usili is an authentic dish of South Indian cuisine made with french beans and lentils. In the method, Lentils are ground to a course paste along with red chillies and asafoetida and steamed into cakes and crumbled and finally mixed with cooked french beans. Usili can also be made with cluster beans, broad beans, snake gourd etc. Paruppu usili is made in all South Indian homes and is a specialty in Iyengar cuisine. It is an excellent for simply mixing with hot rice and ghee and can also be accompanied with mor kuzhambu or vathal kuzhambu. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect and tasty recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Soaking time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- French Beans – 1.5 cups
- Water- 1 cup
- Salt- as required
To soak and grind:
- Toor Dal – 1/3 cup
- Chana dal – 2 tbsp
- Red Chilli – 2
- Asafoetida- 1/8 tsp
- Salt- as required
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 3/4 tsp
- Curry leaves- a sprig
- Asafoetida- 2 pinches
1. Preparation: Soak toor dal and chana dal in water for 1 hour. Chop the french beans finely and set aside.
2. Drain the water completely from the soaked dal and add to mixer along with red chilli, asafoetida and salt. Grind to a coarse paste.
3. Grease idly plate with little oil and add the ground paste into the moulds and steam for 12 to 15 minutes until completely cooked.
4. Remove the steamed dal on a plate and cool down completely.
5. Roughly break it and add to a mixer and pulse for 5 seconds until crumbled well. Do not make a powder.
6. In the meantime, add the chopped beans into a cooking vessel and add 2 cups water and cook until soft. (I used frozen beans so easily cooked in microwave with 1 cup of water for 7 minutes). Drain the water completely and set aside.
7. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Lower the flame and add curry leaves and asafoetida.
8. Add the crumbled dal along with the cooked beans and salt. (NOTE: we have already added salt to dal while grinding, so add accordingly) mix well.
9. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes and switch off. Serve with hot rice and ghee. It can also be served with mor kuzhambu or vathal kuzhambu. Delicious and flavorful Beans Paruppu Usili is ready to eat.