Muffins are a popular single-serving American quick breads, which rise with the help of baking powder and eggs instead of yeast. Muffins are either sweet and somewhat moist like banana, bluberry, choco chip muffins (or) savory like cheese or corn meal muffins. They are less sweeter than cupcakes. They are baked in a pan with cup-sized moulds and are very easy to make. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect recipe at home with simple method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking temperature and time: 400° F (or 200° C) for 23-28 minutes
Makes: 6 Large Muffins
- Dried sweetened blueberries- 1/4 cup (OR) Fresh blueberries- 1/2 cup
- All purpose flour- 1 cup
- Baking soda- 1.5 tsp
- Granulated sugar- 1/3 cup (or 1/2 cup for extra sweet)
- Salt- a pinch
- Milk- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp
- Oil- 3 tbsp
- Egg- 1 (optional) (NOTE: Egg is required for the perfect muffins, you can replace egg with 1/2 mashed banana but it will be slightly flat and not as fluffy as the one with egg)
- Vanilla extract- 1.5 tsp
(NOTE: If using fresh blueberries, add 1/2 cup sugar as it tends to be sour)
1. To a large mixing bowl, add flour, salt, sugar and baking soda (dry ingredients). Stir well with a whisk.
To another bowl, add egg (if using), milk, oil and vanilla extract (wet ingredients) and whisk well.
2. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and add the milk oil mixture and combine well to form homogenous mixture.
3. Add the blueberries (and mashed banana if not using the egg) and mix gently; the batter is ready.
4. Place muffin liners into a greased muffin pan and pour the batter equally using spoon till it fills 3/4 of the pan
5. Level the surface and tap on a flat surface to remove air bubbles. Preheat the oven to 400° F (or 200° C) and bake for 23-28 minutes (I baked for 25 minutes) or till the top turns golden. Once done, insert a toothpick into the muffin and check if it comes out clean. If not, bake for another 2-3 minutes.
6. Cool down on cooling rack for 30 min and store up to 2 days if using dry blueberries (or) finish within the same day if using fresh blueberries. Serve warm for breakfast or a quick snack. Delicious blueberry muffins are ready to eat.