Potato rice | Aloo rice is a tasty and spicy Indian rice variety made with potatoes, onion and peas cooked to perfection with an aromatic blend of chosen spices and mixed with long grains of cooked basmati rice and can be served with Raita (yogurt) or curry. It makes a wholesome lunch or dinner and can also be packed in lunch box. Come, let’s see how to make this tasty recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Basmati rice- 1 cup
- Water- 1.5 cups
- Onion- 1
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
- Green peas- 1/2 cup
- Potato – 3 medium
- Coriander leaves- 1 tbsp
- Salt- as required
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Maggi Masala- 2 packets
(NOTE: I have used Maggi masala as I love the flavor. If you do not have maggi masala, you can add 1 tsp garam masala + 1 tsp coriander powder (OR) 1 tsp kitchen king masala + 1 tsp coriander powder (OR) 2 tsp pav bhaji masala)
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf- 1
- Cloves- 2
- Cardamom- 1
- Cinnamon- 1/4 inch piece
1. Preparation: Finely shred the onions and cut the potato into small cubes and set aside.
2. Cook Rice: Soak basmati rice in water for 30 minutes and pressure cook for 2 whistles. After the whistle releases, fluff with fork to separate grains and transfer the rice on a large plate and cool down completely (You can refrigerate for 20 minutes for faster cooling). You can also make it with leftover basmati rice.
3. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Sauté till it emits a nice aroma. Add onion to it and sauté till golden.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté till raw smell leaves.
5. Add the peas and sauté for a minute.
(NOTE: I used frozen peas, so it gets cooked quickly along with the potatoes. If nd sayou are using fresh peas, boil it till half cooked, drain the water and add to the onions (or) pressure cook for 1 whistle, drain the water and add)
6. Add the potatoes and salt and mix well.
7. Add 1/2 cup of water and close and cook for 5 to 6 minutes in low flame till the potatoes and peas are cooked well. Check on it from time to time to prevent over cooking of the potatoes.
8. After the potatoes have turned soft, add maggi masala and red chilli powder.
9. Cook till the moisture has evaporated and the raw smell of the masala leaves. Add coriander leaves and mix.
10. Finally, add the cooked basmati rice and mix well. Switch off and serve hot with any curry or raita. Delicious and flavorful potato rice is ready to eat.