Ghee Dosa/ Ghee Roast is a type of crispy dosa (savory crêpe) that is roasted to golden brown with ghee. It is made with rice and lentils batter and served as an authentic breakfast in South Indian homes and restaurants. It is accompanied with chutney, sambhar, gun powder or potato masala. The specialty of this dosa is the flavour and aroma of ghee that in turn gives a golden brown dosa. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Cuisine: South Indian
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes: 6-8 dosa
- Dosa batter- 2 cups
- Ghee/ Vegan Ghee- 4 tbsp
1. Preparation: Ferment the batter for 8 to 10 hours until it rises well. Alternatively, you can use this instant dosa batter.
2. Heat a tawa on medium flame till it is slightly hot. Add 1/4 tsp ghee on it and spread it throughout using a small tissue paper.
3. Take out the dosa batter and mix well. Add 1 ladle full of dosa batter to the center of the tawa.
(NOTE: The tawa should not be very hot. If it is so, the batter will not spread properly. Instead it will stick to the ladle itself. If the tawa is so hot, reduce the flame and sprinkle little water and spread well. When the tawa is dry, add the batter)
4. Spread it thin along the edges to form a large circle. Make it as thin as possible without breaking.
5. Add 1 tsp ghee along the edges of the dosa and allow to cook in medium flame.
6. When the edges turn golden brown and the top side is cooked, gently fold the dosa into half and remove it on a plate. Alternatively, for extra crisp dosa, you can flip the dosa and apply 1/2 tsp ghee along the edges and allow to become golden brown on the other side as well. Serve the hot ghee roast with chutney, sambhar, gun powder and sesame oil or potato masala. Delicious and aromatic ghee roast is ready to eat!
- If the tawa becomes hot, add little water and spread and once the tawa is dry, make the remaining dosa.
- If you are packing the dosa in lunch box, make it little thicker and do not allow to become crisp and brown. Remove it while it is golden so that it stays soft for a long time.