Cabbage Poriyal | Cabbage Kaai is an easy and tasty side dish in South Indian cuisine and is a popular poriyal variety. This is how my mom makes cabbage kaai. In this recipe, finely shredded cabbage is cooked with ginger and green chilli and topped with grated coconut. It is a great accompaniment for rice and sambhar, rasam, or vatha kuzhambu. Come, let’s see how to make this simple and quick recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Finely shredded cabbage- 2 cups
- Green peas- 1/2 cup
- Green chilli- 3
- Ginger- 1/2 inch piece
- Water- 1/2 cup
- Salt- as required
- Grated coconut- 1/4 cup
- Oil- 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal- 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
1. Preparation: Finely shred the cabbage into small pieces, slit the green chillies and finely chop the ginger and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Add urad dal and curry leaves and allow the dal to turn golden. Add the green chillies, ginger and fry for few seconds.
3. Add cabbage, green peas and salt and saute for 2 minutes.
NOTE: If you are using fresh green peas, boil it in pressure cooker with 1/2 cup water for 1 whistle. If you are using frozen peas, add directly.
4. Add 1/2 cup water and cover and cook in low flame until the cabbage is soft.
5. Once the cabbage and peas are cooked completely and moisture is absorbed, add grated coconut, mix well and switch off. Serve hot with rice along with sambhar, rasam, or dal. Delicious carrot poriyal is ready to eat.