Cauliflower Poriyal is an easy and tasty accompaniment for rice with sambhar, rasam, dal or curd rice. It is made by cooking cauliflower and onion in spicy blend of garam masala, red chilli powder and coriander powder and seasoned with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect and quick recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Cauliflower- 1 small
- Onion- 1
- Green chilli- 2
- Salt- as required
- Turmeric powder- 1/8 tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1 tsp (OR) Kashmiri Red chilli powder- 1.5 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Garam masala- 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves- 1 tbsp
- Oil- 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
1. Preparation: chop the cauliflower into medium small florets and add turmeric and salt to it. Boil in hot water for until it is 80 % cooked; drain the water and set the cauliflower aside. Shred the onion into thin slices, slit the green chillies and finely chop the coriander leaves.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Add curry leaves, green chillies and fry for a few seconds.
3. Add onion and saute till golden. Do not brown the onions.
4. Add the boiled cauliflower along with salt and masala powders and mix well.
(NOTE: Kashmiri red chilli powder is less spicy than ordinary red chilli powder and also gives orange colour to the poriyal)
5. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes in medium low flame until the raw smell of the masala leaves and the cauliflower is fully cooked. Add coriander leaves and switch off. Serve hot with rice along with sambhar, vatha kuzhambu, rasam, dal or simply mix with rice and ghee. Delicious cauliflower poriyal is ready to eat.