Filter Coffee | Degree Coffee is an authentic South Indian coffee prepared everyday in all South Indian homes and Indian restaurants, cafés and coffee shops. The special filter coffee powder is placed in a perforated metal coffee filter and boiling water is added to it and allowed to brew and the collected coffee extract is called “decoction”. Filter coffee is then prepared from decoction, hot milk and sugar. This coffee is perfect for everyday, especially during mornings. Come, let’s see how to make this aromatic filter coffee at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3
- Milk- 2 cups
- Filter coffee powder- 3 to 4 tsp
- Boiling water- 3/4 cup (to fill the coffee filter)
- Sugar- 4 tsp (adjust according to your taste)
The coffee filter and South Indian Filter coffee powder are available in Indian stores. Choose the size of the filter according to the family size. My small coffee filter is perfect for two people, buy accordingly.
1. Add the filter coffee powder to the top perforated part of the coffee filter.
2. Press it gently using the given pressing plate or with your fingers.
NOTE: If we press too hard, then the water will not pass through the powder. If we press too loose, then the water will pass through rapidly and the decoction will be very diluted. So to get thick and strong decoction, press gently and evenly without any gaps.
3. Heat required amount of water in stove-top or microwave till it is boiling hot. Add boiling water to the filter till the brim.
4. Wait for 15 to 30 minutes. The decoction will slowly get extracted in the bottom section of the filter.
5. Boil milk in a thick bottomed vessel until frothy and it rises.
6. Add sugar to the milk and mix well.
7. Add the required amount of decoction to it (depending on the desired strength and colour) and froth well. Serve the freshly brewed filter coffee in the authentic dabara and tumbler to make your day fresh and energetic. Delicious and flavorful Filter coffee is ready to serve.