Vegetable puffs are delicious vegetable savory puff pastry variety which is a specialty of Indian bakeries. The vegetable masala is prepared on stove top and stuffed inside puff pastry sheets, folded and sealed and then baked at high temperature until flaky and golden. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect tea time snack at home with simple method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Baking temperature and time: 430° F (or 220° C) for 18-20 minutes
Makes: 12 Puffs
- Puff pastry sheets- 2
- Oil- 2 tbsp
For Masala Stuffing:
- Onion- 2 medium chopped
- Tomato- 2 finely chopped and deseeded
- Ginger garlic paste- 1.5 tbsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Salt- as required
- Red chilli powder- 1.5 tsp
- Garam masala- 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
To chop finely and pressure cook for 3 whistles:
- Peas- 1/2 cup
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
1. Preparation: Thawing the puff pastry sheets: Remove the puff pastry sheets from the freezer and keep it in room temperature for 30- 60 minutes until they are soft.
2. In the meantime, chop the potato, carrot and beans into small cubes and set aside. Chop the onion, deseeded tomatoes and coriander leaves finely.
3. Pressure cook the mentioned vegetables for 3 whistles with 1 cup of water. Once cooked, drain the water and set the vegetables aside.
4. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and allow to crackle. Add onion and cook till it turns pink. Do not brown the onions.
5. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for 2 minutes until raw smell leaves.
6. Add the deseeded tomatoes and salt and cook till mushy.
7. Add the cooked vegetables and mix well. Add spice powders and cook in low flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
8. Add coriander leaves and switch off. Cool down to room temperature. The masala stuffing is ready.
9. Line a baking tray with aluminium foil and grease it with oil. Cut each puff pastry sheet into 6 rectangles using a pizza cutter or knife.
10. Place 1 tbsp stuffing towards the middle of the sheet and seal it without gap.
11. Using a fork, secure the edges well and brush the top with oil.
13. Preheat the oven to 430° F (or 220° C) and place the tray inside and bake for 18-20 minutes. I baked for 19 minutes.
14. Once it is golden and flaky, take out from the oven, brush some oil on top. Serve hot with ketchup and tea. Delicious bakery style vegetable puff is ready to eat!