Mushroom Clear Soup is a healthy and flavorful soup made with mushroom, onion and garlic. This version of mushroom soup is easy to make with simple ingredients and lightly spiced to make it a comfort food, especially during winter. I have always loved having similar mushroom soup frequently in “soup kadai/ soup shop” in Chennai where they add fine pieces of mushroom instead of slices. Come, let’s see how to make this easy and healthy recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Sliced button mushroom- 1.5 cups
- Onion- 1 small
- Garlic- 2 cloves
- Salt- as required
- Pepper powder- 1/2 tsp or as required
- Water- 2.5 cups + 1 tsp
- Corn flour- 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves- 1 tbsp
- Butter- 2 tsp
- Bay leaf- 1
1. Preparation: Wash the mushroom and pat dry and slice into medium chunks. Finely chop onion and coriander leaves and mince garlic and set aside.
2. Heat butter in a pan in medium to low flame and add bay leaf. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds until slightly golden.
3. Add onions and sauté till translucent and golden. Do not brown the onions.
4. Add the mushroom and allow to cook till soft. When it is half cooked, add salt and pepper powder. Allow to shrink a little bit. Do not overcook the mushroom since it will make the soup dark in colour.
5. Add water and bring to a boil.
7. Mix corn flour in 1 tsp water to make slurry for thickening the soup. When the soup is boiling, add the slurry and stir immediately to avoid lump formation.
10. When the soup has thickened to consistency of oil (thick yet clear), add coriander leaves and switch off and serve hot immediately. This soup tastes heavenly with the flavour of mushroom, garlic, onion and coriander leaves in every spoonful. It is a wonderful and healthy way to relish your cold days. Delicious mushroom clear soup is ready to enjoy.