Hot dog is a grilled or steam cooked sausage sandwich that is usually served in a long hot dog bun. The sausage is usually made of meat and the hot dog is served with condiments like mustard, ketchup, relish etc. This recipe is vegetarian version of hot dog made of potato and vegetable roll with Indian spices. I could not find a single place near me that served veg hot dog and hence I made my own. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 hot dogs
- Hot dog bun- 4
- Butter- 2 tsp
For the Hot Dog Stuffing Roll:
- Onion- 1
- Garlic- 4
- Green chillies- 2
- Capsicum- 1/2
- Tomato- 2
- Carrot- 1
- Beans- 5
- Potato- 2 (large)
- Salt- as required
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Oregano- 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice- 1 tbsp
- Mozzarella cheese- 1 cup
- Bread crumbs- 1 cup plus 1/3 cup
- Oil- 2 tbsp
For the Spread:
- Mayonnaise- 3 tbsp
- Cabbage- 1 tbsp
- Onion- 1 tbsp
- Capsicum- 1 tbsp
- Oregano- 1 tsp
- Pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
- Salt- if required
- Tomato ketchup- about 2 tsp
- Mustard- about 2 tsp
1. Preparation: Finely chop all the vegetables for the hot dog and spread and keep separately. De-seed the tomatoes and chop finely. Cube the potatoes into 4 and cook for 4 whistles in pressure cooker, peel the skin and mash it.
2. Spread: Add mayonnaise to a small bowl and add all the ingredients to it one by one and mix well and set aside. Refrigerate if using it later than 1 hour.
3. For the hot dog, heat oil in a pan and add garlic and green chillies and sauté for a minute.
4. Add onions and sauté until onions turn golden. Do not brown the onions.
5. Add the tomatoes, capsicum, beans and carrot along with salt and red chilli powder.
6. Close and cook for 2 minutes in medium flame until the tomatoes turn soft.
7. Add coriander leaves, oregano and lemon juice and mix well.
8. Add the mashed potatoes and mix well. Check for salt and add if required.
9. Cook in medium flame until the moisture evaporates and it turns thick and doesn’t stick to the pan. Remove it on a plate and cool completely
10. Mean while, apply little butter on the inner side of hot dog buns and toast on a tawa till golden and set aside. NOTE: Do not flip and roast outer side as it will become flat.
11. After the potato mixture has cooled completely, add mozzarella cheese and bread crumbs and form a dough
12. Apply few drops of oil onto your palm and take large portion of the dough and make into sausage like shapes
13. Coat them in bread crumbs on all sides. Heat 2 tbsp oil in tawa and roast the rolls on all sides until golden and set aside
14. Assembling: apply the spread on the inner side of hot dog buns and place the roll inside and close gently. Garnish with mustard and ketchup. Delicious hot dogs are ready to eat!