Rava Upma is an authentic and popular Upma variety of South Indian cuisine made with Rava/ Sooji/ Semolina, onion, ginger and green chillies. It is made in all South Indian homes for breakfast/ evening tiffin or even dinner. This recipe uses simple ingredients and can be prepared in 15 minutes. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Rava/ Sooji/ Semolina – 1 cup
- Water- 2.25 cups
- Ginger- 1 inch piece
- Green chillies- 3
- Onion – 1
- Salt- as required
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal- 1 tsp
- Channa dal- 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig (about 6)
- Cashew nuts- 1 tbsp (optional)
1. Preparation: Dry Roast the rava until golden and remove it on a plate. Take care not to burn the rava, keep stirring in between. In the meantime, chop ginger and green chillies finely and onions into thin slices.
2. Heat oil in a pan (preferably nonstick) and add mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Add urad dal, channa dal, curry leaves and cashew nuts (if adding).
3. When the dal and cashew nuts turn golden, add ginger and green chillies and fry for a minute. Add onions and sauté till it turns slightly golden. Do not brown the onions
4. Add water along with salt and bring to boil. Close with lid for faster process.
5. When the water boils, check for salt and add if required. Add the roasted rava slowly and stir continuously to avoid lump formation. Lower the flame.
6. The mixture begins to thicken and close and cook for 3-4 minutes until all the water is absorbed and the Upma turns soft and doesn’t stick to the pan.
7. Mix well and switch off. Serve hot with any chutney or simply sugar. Delicious Rava Upma is ready to eat!