Semiya Upma is an easy and popular Upma variety of South Indian cuisine made with Semiya/Vermicelli/ Sevai , onion, green chillies and mixed vegetables. It can made for a quick breakfast/ evening tiffin or even dinner. This recipe uses simple ingredients and healthy vegetables and can be prepared in 20 minutes. Come, let’s see how to make this tasty recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Roasted Semiya/Vermicelli/ Sevai – 1 cup
- Water- 2 cups
- Ginger- 1/2 inch piece (optional)
- Green chillies- 3
- Onion – 1
- Carrot- 1
- French beans- 5
- Green peas- 1/3 cup
- Salt- as required
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal- 1 tsp
- Channa dal- 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig (about 6)
1. Preparation: Chop onion, ginger and green chillies finely and onions and carrots and beans into small cubes. I used roasted vermicelli as it yields non-sticky upma and can be instantly used and saves lot of time. If you are using unroasted vermicelli, roast in 2 tsp oil till golden and remove it on a plate.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Add urad dal, channa dal and curry leaves. When the dal turns golden, add ginger and green chillies and fry for a minute.
3. Add onions and sauté till it turns slightly golden. Do not brown the onions.
4. Add carrot, beans and peas along with salt and cook for 2 minutes in medium flame.
5. Add water and bring to boil. Close with lid for faster process.
6. When the water boils, check for salt and add if required. Add the semiya slowly and stir continuously to avoid lump formation
7. The mixture begins to thicken and close and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
8. When all the water is absorbed and the semiya is cooked completely and turns soft and non-sticky, switch off. Serve hot with chutney or pickle. Delicious vegetable semiya upma is ready to eat!
NOTE: You can skip the vegetables and make semiya upma with just onion, ginger and green chillies.