Wheat Rava Upma is a healthy and easy diabetic friendly Upma variety of South Indian cuisine made with Wheat Rava/ Samba Godhuma Rava/Fine Broken Wheat, onion, green chillies and vegetables. It can made for a quick breakfast/ evening tiffin or even dinner. This recipe uses simple ingredients and healthy vegetables and can be prepared in 20 minutes. Come, let’s see how to make this tasty recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- Wheat Rava/ Fine Broken Wheat- 1 cup
- Water- 3 cups
- Ginger- 1 inch piece
- Green chillies- 3
- Onion – 1
- Carrot- 1
- Green peas- 1/3 cup
- Salt- as required
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal- 1 tsp
- Channa dal- 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig (about 6)
1. Preparation: Finely chop onion, ginger and green chillies and onions and carrots into small cubes.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Add urad dal, channa dal and curry leaves. When the dal turns golden, add ginger and green chillies and fry for a minute.
3. Add onions and sauté till it turns slightly golden. Do not brown the onions.
4. Add carrot and peas along with salt and cook for 2 minutes in medium flame. Add water and bring to boil. Close with lid for faster process.
5. When the water boils, check for salt and add if required. Add the wheat rava slowly and stir continuously to avoid lump formation.
6. The mixture begins to thicken; close and cook for 6-7 minutes.
7. When all the water is absorbed and the upma turns soft, switch off. Serve hot with chutney or pickle. I served with coconut chutney and mango thokku. Delicious and healthy Wheat Rava Upma is ready to eat!