Mirchi Ka Salan is a rich, creamy and tasty dish of Hyderabadi cuisine available in all Hyderabad restaurants. It is made with freshly cut and roasted green chilli (less hot variety) in rich peanut and sesame gravy. It is served as the authentic side dish for biryani. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Green Chillies (less hot variety)- 8
- Salt- as required
- Kashmiri red chilli powder- 1 tsp (or) red chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala- 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves- 1 tbsp
- Oil- 3 tbsp
To roast and grind:
- Onion- 1
- Roasted peanuts- 1/4 cup
- Sesame seeds- 1.5 tbsp
- Desiccated coconut/ grated coconut- 1/4 cup
- Ginger garlic paste- 1.5 tsp
For tamarind water:
- Tamarind (or) tamarind paste- 1 tbsp
- Water- 1/3 cup
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
1. Preparation: Chop the stalk of the green chilli (optional).
Slit open the green chilli and deseed with the help of back of a spoon.
Slice the onions and chop coriander leaves and set aside.
2. To extract tamarind : Soak tamarind in hot water for 20 minutes and squeeze using your hands and extract the juice. Filter and set aside. Alternatively, you can add tamarind and water to a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds and extract the juice.
2. Heat 1.5 tsp oil in a pan and add sesame seeds and roasted peanuts and saute till golden.
3. Add the dessicated coconut and saute for 30 seconds in medium flame. Take care not to burn the coconut. Remove it on a plate and cool down completely.
4. To the same pan, add 1.5 tsp oil and sliced onions. Saute till golden brown. Transfer to the same plate and allow to cool.
5. Heat 1 tbsp oil in the pan and add the green chillies and roast till golden spots appear. Toss and roast on all sides and remove it on a plate and set aside.
6. Add the roasted peanuts, sesame seeds, coconut, onions and ginger garlic paste to a mixer and grind to a smooth paste by adding water little by little.
7. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Add cumin seeds and curry leaves.
8. Add the ground paste to it, mix well and cook for 2 minutes in low flame. Cover partly with a lid as it splutters a lot.
9. Add kashmiri red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Cook in medium to low flame till the oil separates.
10. Add tamarind water and bring to a boil. Add the roasted green chillies and close and cook till the gravy thickens and oil separates.
11. Add coriander leaves and switch off. Serve hot with special Hyderabadi Veg Biryani or idly or dosa. Delicious Mirchi ka salan is ready to eat!