Vegetable Biryani is a popular Indian main course dish made with vegetables and a flavorful blend of spices and long grains of basmati rice and served with Raita (yogurt) or spicy and rich gravy. There are variations in spices and method of making biryani in different parts of India. The most authentic biryani hails from Hyderabad and is prepared with alternating layers of vegetable gravy and rice and cooked in closed heat in a method called “dum”. This helps in better absorption of the spices and aroma and the resulting biryani is absolute bliss. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Marinating/ Soaking time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
For the Vegetable Marinate:
- Curd / Yogurt – 1 cup
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Red chili Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Biryani masala – 2 tbsp
- Salt – as required
- Green chili – 4 to 5
- Coriander leaves – 3 tbsp
- Mint – 3 tbsp
- Chopped Mixed Vegetables (carrot, beans, potato) – 1.5 cups
- Cubed Paneer- 100 grams (or) 1/2 cup
- Basmati Rice – 2 1/2 cup
- Water – 7 cups + 4 cups (for soaking rice)
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 – 2 tbsp
- Ghee – 3 tbsp + 1 tbsp
- Cashewnuts – 3 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Bay leaf- 1
- Green Cardamom – 4
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Fried Onion – 5 tbsp + 3 tbsp
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Saffron – 2 pinches (soaked in 1 tbsp hot water)
1. Preparation: Chop the vegetables (potato, carrot, beans) into long strips and paneer into cubes. (You can also add green peas, cauliflower etc) Slit the green chillies and finely chop the mint leaves and coriander leaves and set aside. Soak 2 pinches of saffron in 1 tbsp hot water and set aside.
2. Wash the basmati rice in running water 2 or 3 times to remove excess starch and impurities.
3. Soak Basmati rice in 4 cups water for 30 mins. Drain the excess water and set aside.
4. For the Vegetable Marinate: Add all the items under the table “vegetable marinate” except paneer and vegetables and mix well to form a paste.
5. Add vegetables and paneer and mix well. Set aside for 30 mins.
6. For cooking rice: Add 7 cups of water in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds, oil, lemon juice, salt and bring to a boil.
7. Add the basmati rice and boil for 5 mins.
8. Taste the rice to confirm that it is half cooked.
9. Strain the rice and cool down on a plate completely.
11. For masala: Heat ghee in a pressure cooker (or) heavy bottomed vessel and add whole spices. Roast till aromatic.
12. Add Ginger Garlic paste and sauté till the raw smell leaves, for about a minute.
13. Add the marinated vegetables and 5 tbsp fried onions.
14. Add 1/4 cup water and mix well. Cook till the ghee separates (2-3 mins).
15. Add half quantity of rice in a layer and sprinkle fried onions, mint leaves and coriander leaves.
16. For the next layer add remaining rice, fried onions and 1 tbsp ghee.
17. Add saffron water and place the cooker lid and cook in low flame for 5 to 10 mins without whistle.
18. Add one cup water to a large pan and bring to a boil. Place the cooker on it and cook for 30 to 35 mins in low flame (the water will boil and create dum). NOTE: Keep an eye on it so that the water does not overflow.
19. Once done, open the cooker and serve the biryani in layers. No need to mix. Serve hot with onion raita, or any spicy and rich gravy like mirchi ka salan. Delicious Hyderabad Veg Biryani is ready to eat!