Bread Upma is a quick, easy and tasty Upma variety of South Indian cuisine made with bread, onion, green chilli, tomato and spices. It can made for a breakfast/ evening tiffin and stays good for lunch box as well and is a good way to use the leftover bread at home. This recipe uses simple ingredients and can be prepared in 15 minutes. Come, let’s see how to make this tasty recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Bread slices- 6
- Onion- 1
- Tomato- 2
- Green chillies- 2
- Ginger garlic paste- 3/4 tsp
- Salt- as required
- Turmeric- 1/8 tsp
- Sambhar Powder- 3/4 tsp
- Kashmiri red chilli powder- 3/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
- Oil- 2 tsp
- Mustard- 1 tsp
- Urad dal- 1 tsp
- Channa dal- 1 tsp
- Cashew- 6
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
1. Preparation: Cut the bread slices into small pieces, chop the onion, tomato, green chillies and coriander leaves finely.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Add urad dal, channa dal, cashew and curry leaves
3. When the dal and cashew turn golden, add green chillies and onions and sauté till the onion turns golden. Do not brown the onions.
4. Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté till raw smell leaves.
5. Add tomatoes and salt and allow to cook.
6. When the tomatoes turn soft, add turmeric powder, kashmiri red chilli powder and sambhar powder and saute till the raw smell leaves.
7. Add 2 tbsp water and cook for a minute.
8. Add the bread pieces to it and toss to coat the gravy evenly.
9. Add coriander leaves and switch off. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot. Delicious and easy bread Upma is ready to eat.