Cucumber Buttermilk is an easy and healthy drink that acts as body coolant and helps in digestion. It is packed with the flavors and health benefits of cucumber, buttermilk, lemon, ginger and asafoetida. It is an excellent summer cooler and very easy to make within 10 minutes. Come, let’s see how to make this refreshing recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 0 minutes
- Buttermilk- 3 cups
- Cubed Cucumber – 1 cup
- Small Green chilli- 1/2
- Ginger- 1/2 inch piece
- Asafoetida- 2 pinches
- Coriander leaves- 1 tbsp
- Salt- as required
- Lemon – 1/4 large or 1/2 small
- Chaat masala- a pinch (optional)
1. Preparation: Churn 1 cup of thick curd with 2 cups of water to make buttermilk and keep it chilled. Peel the skin of cucumber and chop it into small cubes. Chop the green chillies, ginger and coriander finely.
2. Add all the ingredients except lemon into a large mixer/blender jar and blend smooth. (NOTE: This buttermilk is spicy as we are adding green chillies and ginger. If you wish a less spicy version, omit green chillies)
3. Filter it using a strainer and discard the ground cucumber mixture.
4. Squeeze the juice from lemon and pour into glass, garnish with coriander leaves (or) sprinkle a pinch of chaat masala on top. It tastes great both ways. Refreshing and healthy cucumber buttermilk is ready. Enjoy the flavour of summer, any time of the year.
- Cucumber, lemon and buttermilk are coolants and help in regulating body heat.
- Asafoetida and ginger are good for digestion.