Macaroni and Cheese (simply Mac and Cheese) is a world famous dish of English origin consisting of cooked macaroni pasta in cheese sauce. It is a kids friendly comfort food and also popular among all ages and available in almost all restaurants. This version of Mac and cheese is creamy, cheesy, buttery and easy to make with simple ingredients. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect mac and cheese at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Preparation and Cooking time: 20 minutes
For cooking macaroni:
- Macaroni pasta- 1 cup
- Water- 4 cups
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Oil- 2 tsp
For cheese sauce:
- Butter- 2 tbsp
- All purpose flour- 1.5 tbsp
- Milk- 1.5 cups
- Cheddar cheese- 1/2 cup (or) 5 slices
- Salt- as required
- Pepper powder- 1/2 tsp (optional)
1. Heat water in a vessel and add salt and 1 tsp oil and bring to a boil. Add macaroni to it and cook in medium flame until soft. Do not over cook as it will get mashed when we add to the cheese sauce.
2. Strain the cooked macaroni and add 1 tsp oil and toss. This is done to prevent the macaroni from sticking to each other.
3. For the cheese sauce: Heat butter in a saucepan and allow to melt. Add all purpose flour to it and mix well without lumps.
4. Add milk and stir continuously in medium flame.
5. When the milk thickens, add the cheddar cheese and mix well. Season with salt and pepper powder (if adding) and allow the cheese to melt completely and form thick saucy consistency.
6. Add the cooked macaroni and mix. Cook in medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes till the sauce coats the macaroni and desired consistency is reached. Switch off and serve hot. Delicious and buttery mac and cheese is ready to eat!
- In the United States, July 14 has been branded as “National Macaroni and Cheese Day.”
- In fact, Mac and Cheese is the number one cheese recipe in the United States.
- Macaroni and cheese has remained on the list America’s top ten comfort foods for decades.
- The most popular cheese used in macaroni and cheese recipes is Cheddar cheese.
- In 1993, Crayola named one of its crayon colors “Macaroni and Cheese.”