Potato Fry is an easy and tasty accompaniment for rice with sambhar, rasam, dal or curd rice. It is made by roasting finely chopped potatoes in spicy blend of red chilli powder and sambhar powder and seasoned with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect and quick recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Potatoes- 2 large
- Salt- as required
- Turmeric powder- 1/8 tsp
- Sambhar powder- 1 tsp
- Kashmiri Red chilli powder- 1.5 tsp (or) Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
- Oil- 1.5 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
1. Preparation: Wash the potatoes, peel the skin and cut into small cubes of equal size and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Lower the flame and add curry leaves.
3. Add the potatoes, salt and turmeric powder.
4. Add kashmiri red chilli powder and sambhar powder and mix well. Allow to cook till soft for 4 to 5 minutes and stir in between to prevent the potatoes from sticking to the pan.
Note: Kashmiri red chilli powder is less spicy than regular red chilli powder and gives a bright orange colour
5. When it is cooked, keep the flame in medium to roast the potatoes. Add 1 tsp oil if necessary. When it is roasted to golden, switch off. Serve hot with rice along with sambhar, vatha kuzhambu, rasam, dal or with curd rice.
- Potato is the world’s fourth food staple – after wheat, corn and rice.
- Potato is the first vegetable grown in space in October 1995,.
- Potato is about 80% water and 20% solids.
- Potato is totally gluten-free.
- A 1/4 kg (250 g) baked or boiled potato has only about 100 calories.