Banana Bread is a popular American quick sweet bread made of mashed bananas, which rises with the help of baking powder instead of yeast. They are cake-like sweet breads that are popular breakfast all around the world. They are baked in a loaf pan and are very easy to make compared to the traditional bread. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect recipe at home with simple method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking temperature and time: 350° F (or 180° C) for about 1 hour
- Ripe Banana- 3
- All purpose flour- 1.5 cups
- Baking soda- 1 tsp
- Brown sugar- 3/4 cup
- Salt- a pinch
- Butter- 1/2 stick
- Oil- 1/4 cup
- Vanilla extract- 1.5 tsp
- Walnuts- 3-4 tbsp
1. Melt butter in a large bowl and add bananas to it and mash well with a fork.
2. Add oil, salt and vanilla extract to it and whisk/ beat well. I used my hand mixer.
3. Add brown sugar and mix properly without forming lumps.
4. Sift flour and baking soda in a bowl and add slowly to the banana mixture and mix to form homogeneous mixture.
5. Grease a loaf pan with oil and pour the batter into it (will fill 3/4 of the pan)
6. Level the surface and tap on a flat surface to remove air bubbles. Sprinkle finely chopped walnuts on top
7. Preheat the oven to 350° F (or 180° C) and bake for 1 hour. Once done, insert a toothpick into the bread and check if it comes out clean. If not, bake for another 5-7 minutes.
8. Cool down on cooling rack for 30 min and loosen the edges with a knife and invert on a plate and carefully remove the bread. Cool the bread for at least 1 hour and slice into desired thickness. Serve with fresh banana and walnuts. Delicious and perfectly soft and moist banana bread is ready to eat!
- Bananas arrived in the USA in the 1870’s and became an instant hit, finding their way into many desserts.
- Today, bananas are the most consumed fruit in the USA; over 90% of the households in the US buy bananas at least once a month.
- Banana bread first became a standard feature of American cookbooks with the popularization of baking soda and baking powder in the 1930s.
- National Banana Bread day is 23 February
- Banana bread is very good for heart. Bananas are very rich in potassium, a mineral that regulates blood pressure and normalized heart function. Reduce the amount of sugar and substitute with honey for healthier banana bread.