Oats Idly is a type of savory steamed cake made with oats and broken wheat and served as a healthy breakfast or evening tiffin. It can be accompanied with chutney, sambhar and idly chilli powder. The instant no soak no ferment oats idly is made with a technique similar to rava idly and the batter uses ground oats and broken wheat along with curd. The batter is poured into greased idly moulds and steamed for 15 minutes to yield soft, spongy and healthy idli. This is a diabetic friendly and weight loss breakfast. Come, let’s see how to make this perfect recipe at home with easy method and step by step pictures.
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes: 8 idlies
Serves: 2 to 3
- Oats (Instant Quick Oats)- 1 cup
- Broken Wheat/ Wheat Rava/ Samba Rava- 1/2 cup
- Fresh and thick curd/ yogurt- 1/2 cup
- Water- 1/2 cup + extra (for adjusting the consistency)
- Salt- as required
- Lemon- 1/2
- Fruit Salt/ Eno- 1/2 tsp
- Green chilli- 2
- Ginger- 1/2 inch piece
- Carrot- 1
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Urad dal- 1 tsp
- Chana dal- 1 tsp
- Asafoetida- a pinch
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
1. Preparation: Finely chop green chilli, ginger and coriander leaves and grate carrot and set aside.
2. Dry roast oats for 3 to 4 minutes until aromatic and transfer to a plate and set aside.4
3. Once the oats cool down to room temperature, grind to a coarse powder.
4. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and allow to crackle. Add the other items under “to temper” and roast till the dal turns golden.
5. Add carrot, ginger, green chilli and coriander leaves and saute for a minute.
6. Add the broken wheat to it and roast until golden and switch off. This takes about 3 to 4 minutes.
7. Add to a large mixing bowl along with the ground oats, salt, curd, water (1/2 cup) and mix well to form a lump free batter. If the batter is too thick, add more water and mix.
8. Add lemon juice and fruit salt to the batter just before making idlies and the batter turns bubbly at the top. Mix well. TIP: The oats idli would turn hard and flat without fruit salt. In this case, adding fruit salt and lemon juice makes soft and spongy idlies instantly.
9. Pour 1/4 tsp oil into each of the 8 idly moulds and grease the surface. Pour the oats idly batter into the moulds with the help of a ladle.
You can also add grated carrot and coriander leaves to the greased idly mould and add batter on top.
10. Arrange the idly plates as shown: The holes in the plate should align along idly of bottom plate. This is done to prevent the idlies to stick to the plate above them.
11. Place the idly plate stand inside idly cooker or normal pressure cooker and steam for 14-16 minutes (without whistle). Oats idli take a bit longer to cook than regular idlies. Cool down for 2 minutes and remove from the idly mould and serve with chutney, sambhar or gun powder. I served with mint chutney. Delicious and healthy oats idlies are ready to eat.
- Oats are high in the soluble fiber beta-glucan which helps reduce cholesterol and blood sugar levels, promotes healthy gut bacteria and increases feelings of fullness.
- Broken wheat has fiber and magnesium, the two nutrients that help lower your risk of type two diabetes.
- Oats and Broken wheat may lower the risk of heart disease by reducing both total and LDL cholesterol.
- Oats contain many powerful antioxidants and help reduce blood pressure and provide other benefits.
- Oats and broken wheat also help in weight loss.