Karasev | Easy and Tasty Pepper Kara Sev | Diwali Snacks
Author: PRIYA SRINIVAS Course: Snacks Cuisine: South Indian Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Gram flour – 1 cup
- Rice flour – 3/4 cup
- Water- as required to make dough
- Salt- as required
- Turmeric powder- 2 pinches
- Asafoetida- 2 pinches
- Butter- 2 tbsp
- Pepper- 2 tsp (coursely ground)
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp (coarsely ground)
- Oil- to deep fry
- Sieve gram flour and rice flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, asafoetida, coarsely ground pepper and cumin and butter to it
- Crumble with your fingers to incorporate the butter and spices.
- Add water slowly and make a smooth and stiff dough without cracks
- Meanwhile grease the inner sides of murukku press and add the round holes (thenkuzhal) plate into it.
- Fill the Murukku achu with the prepared dough and close it with top.
- When the oil is hot, add a small portion of dough to check, if the dough rises immediately and doesn’t turn dark, the oil is ready. Now gently press the dough into oil in circular motion to form single layer, do not overcrowd. Keep the flame in medium low (4)
- When the bubbles reduce, gently flip and cook on the other side as well.
- When the bubbles disappear and the karasev are golden, remove from oil and place on absorbent paper towel.
- Cool down completely, break into strips and store in air tight container. Delicious and crispy karasev is ready to eat.
- Make sure the oil is medium hot. If it is very hot, the karasev will turn dark and bitter ; if it is not hot enough, karasev will absorb oil
- Store in airtight jar after it has cooled down to retain the crispness