Rose Maida Burfi | Easy Rose Fudge in 10 Minutes | Diwali Festival Sweets
Rose Maida Burfi | Easy Rose Fudge in 10 Minutes
PRIYA SRINIVAS Course:
Dessert/ Sweets Cuisine:
Indian Preparation time:
5 minutes Cooking time:
- Maida/ All purpose flour- 3/4 cup
- Ghee- 1/4 cup
- Sugar- 1 cup
- Water- 1/2 cup
- Rose essence- 1/4 tsp
- Pink food colour- a pinch
- Melted Ghee- about 1/4 tsp (for greasing the pan)
- Grease a square tray with ghee and set aside. I used 9 inch cake tray and got 16 thin pieces.
- Heat ghee in a non stick pan and add maida and roast until aromatic and becomes like wet sand (takes about 1-2 minutes, take care not to burn the flour). Remove it on a plate.
- To the same pan, add water and sugar and mix well in medium flame to dissolve the sugar completely
- Continue to boil until one string consistency; when you take a drop of sugar syrup between your index finger and thumb, it should form a string without breaking (do this carefully as the sugar syrup is too hot to touch)
- Add pink food color and rose essence to it and immediately add the maida and turn the stove to lowest heat.
- Stir briskly using a wired whisk to prevent lump formation. It turns thick in 1-2 minutes and becomes a paste. Note: Use a non stick pan and spatula as the mixture is very sticky and needs continuous stirring.
- When the mixture comes together and white spots start appearing while stirring (thick consistency), switch off and transfer it to greased pan and spread to even layer and allow to cool down.
- When it is little firm, make creases using knife. After it has cooled down completely, invert and cut the pieces.
- Store the Rose Maida burfi in a dry box at room temperature. Delicious melt in the mouth Rose Maida burfi are ready to eat.
- It is very easy and quick to prepare within 15 minutes. The trick lies in using non-stick pan to avoid sticking and controlling the heat to prevent browning/ burning of the burfi.
- The ratio of Ghee: Maida: Sugar is 1:3:4 (1/4 cup ghee : 3/4 cup Maida : 1 cup sugar)
- Achieving one string consistency of sugar syrup is important for the texture and setting of the burfi. If the syrup over boils and starts crystallising, it is difficult to mix Maida into it. If it is underdone, the burfi will not set properly.
- Allow setting of the burfi before cutting to get smooth edges. If you feel it is not setting properly, you can refrigerate for 20 minutes, cut the pieces and then store in room temperature
- You can add vanilla essence instead of rose and add a different food color to make vanilla burfi
- Alternatively, you can skip food colour and essence and instead, add a pinch of cardamom powder and make natural burfi.